Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can I use Automatic Transmission Oil in a hydraulic system?

I have a log splitter that has a Brigs 5 HP engine directly coupled to the hydraulic pump. During cold weather, the extreme drag of cold oil prevents the engine from spinning fast enough to create ignition spark and thus it won鈥檛 start. I would like to thin the hydraulic oil, and so the question is ... can I use, or mix in, a automatic transmission oil like Dextron III into the hydraulic system to thin out the oil and not cause damage to the system?





Please, only persons with direct knowledge should respond.Can I use Automatic Transmission Oil in a hydraulic system?
yeah you can use it but dont mix it in drain it all out first then put in the tranny i used to run a log loader in cold michigan weather some guys are now buying their new loaders with tranny fluid in them . in cold weather theres no drag . it doesnt get thick at cold tempsCan I use Automatic Transmission Oil in a hydraulic system?
You be the judge. I rented my garage along with jacks and other large tools to a man a few years ago. He was tighter than the bark on a tree and when the jacks needed oil, he put automatic transmission fluid in them. the jacks stopped working and I had to flush them out. The oil inside looked like jello and I had a hard time getting most of it out. In addition, the mixture ruined the seals and the jacks leak all the time now. Go to NAPA or another parts store and get hydraulic jack oil and replace the oil in you log splitter with it and your problem is solved.
Here is what I would do, Get some heater tape and wrap the ram, forget mixing fluids, just asking for seal destruction. You can get this tape in different lengths, most of it runs at 110 vac.
while you cannot mix atf and hydraulic fluid, either one will work in a hydraulic system. i work on rvs and most slide out hydraulic motors are atf. either one will work, but do not mix them
The answer would be no, because the engine oil is different than the hydraulic oils just because they are both oils does not mean that they will make something else you want to use will function it's correct way.
TRANS SYD ,the most suitable for Your conditions.





If I were in Your place I will use Dextron without mixing.





hyd oil and dextron don't mix.





dextron is in reallty hyd fluid.
The oil in the engine is different than the hydraulic oil used to push the ram. Your starting problems are caused by a heavy engine oil, not the hydraulic oil. Change the oil in the engine to a 5W30 for the winter, then use a 10W40 when it warms up. I have to do this on my Generac generator with a Briggs engine. Hope this helps.
Mixing lubricants is not normally accepted, however I have seen where using another fluid helps. For example I had a truck with a five speed stick in it, when I changed the fluid (using the recommended fluid) the transmission was sluggish. I drooped that and put in a mix of gear oil (recommended) and ATF and the problem went way. I would suggest you find out if the seals in the hydraulic system are compatible with Dextron lll and if so, go for it
Sounds like the motor oil is too thich, try using a lower weight oil like 5w20 in the briggs and stratton. Mixing hydraulic oils like that can be a risky thing. My concern would be the seals in the hydro system. Its probably ok, but I would contact the manufactuer on that.
I wouldn't. Transmission fluid has a different designed use, and believe it or not, would not warm up fast enough in a hydraulic system.





Like motor oil, hydraulic oil comes in various weights and grades. Perhaps you need to go to a lower weight in you are in extreme cold temperatures.





http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters/hyd鈥?/a> gives a lot of the basics on various types of hydraulic oil.





http://www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/hydr鈥?/a> is specific as to grades and temperatures.
Unless the wrong fluid has been put in the hydraulic system I would suggest you drain the engine oil and replace with a multi grade say 10-30. If the weather is extremely cold go to 5-30 or best of all change to synthetic. Your engine will then start like it does in the summer time. As for the hydraulic system either hydraulic oil or auto trans oil is fine. It is recommended you don't mix the two but I have on many occasions with no problems. Just don't use hydraulic oil in a automatic transmission.
anything but hydraulic oil and you will for sure blow it up

No comments:

Post a Comment