Friday, December 18, 2009

What happens when you over fill your transmission oil?

should I keep driving it or what? I don't know what to do?What happens when you over fill your transmission oil?
Some transmissions automatically [pun intended] vent over filled fluid to the atmosphere.





This could be dangerous in the way that hot tranny fluid is surprisingly flamable..if it were hitting or spraying on to the hot exhaust system it could catch on fire underneath the vehicle.





Drain off any over fills.. best results are when the tranny is exactly full.What happens when you over fill your transmission oil?
trannys,vent excessive pressures into the atmosphere,if fluid goes with it it is not by design.No trans. is designed to vent an excess of fluid! Report Abuse

BAD THINGS,if your way over full it could cause slipping %26amp; ruin your trans. I would suggest if you have more than 1/4'; of fluid above the full line on the dipstick,you should have someone drain the fluid for you. I assume you are checking it properly : engine running %26amp; either in park or nuetral trans. warm. At the very least check the color %26amp; smell of the fluid (should be bright pink or red,no hint of burnt smell or foam on the dipstick)
My auto shop teachers says it will just come out until its at the correct level. Like it will leak out of some hole (sorry I dont really remember what its called)
I work in a shop but I don't do much transmission work. To the best of my knowledge, you will flood your transmission out and have more wear on the interior parts. I would suggest taking it to a transmission shop if its incredibly over filled, if its a smidge i wouldnt' worry about it.
It can cause foam to build up in your transmission, depending upon how far over full you are.
  • myspace text
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment