Friday, December 18, 2009

Should you change the manual transmission oil on VWs?

The service manager says they're sealed for life. Also, should you change the rear differential oil on VWs with 4Motion? I have a 2004 VW R32.Should you change the manual transmission oil on VWs?
You DO need to change the Haldex fluid every 20k miles on the R32. If you don't and the Haldex system goes out, it's extremely pricy to fix. As for the manual transmission oil, you will be fine. It will be changed when the clutch goes so don't worry about it.Should you change the manual transmission oil on VWs?
Transmission not sealed. It has a drain and fill plug.


I have a 1995 Passat w 180K. I changed the transmission oil at 100K. I feel it's better safe than sorry. Anyway, you're talking an hours worth of time and $25.00 for the oil.


As far as 4motion, can't help you.


(Service managers parrot what they have been told by the mfg.)
On most AUTOMATICS the tranny oil is supposed to be changed every 30K miles (100K miles for VW and Audi).





On Manual tranny, there is usually no recommended interval. But it doesn't hurt. I changed out the manual tranny oil in my Civic.








Good Luck...
I have a 99 TDI Jetta, manual. The only time I ever changed the transmission oil is when I replaced the clutch.





Can't comment on your other question - no 4Motion for me.
Check out the MKIV R32 forums on www.vwvortex.com I wish I could provide some specific information, but if it's VW related, you can find it on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment